Download The Outcast Books Online
Define Books During The Outcast
| Original Title: | The Outcast |
| ISBN: | 0701181753 (ISBN13: 9780701181758) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | Orange Prize Nominee for Fiction Shortlist (2008), Guardian First Book Award Nominee for Longlist (2008), Costa Book Award for First Novel (2008) |
Sadie Jones
Hardcover | Pages: 352 pages Rating: 3.62 | 8539 Users | 806 Reviews
Relation To Books The Outcast
A mesmerizing portrait of 1950s hypocrisy and unexpected love, from a powerful new voice.It is 1957, and Lewis Aldridge, straight out of prison, is journeying back to his home in Waterford, a suburban town outside London. He is nineteen years old, and his return will have dramatic consequences not just for his family, but for the whole community.
A decade earlier, his father's homecoming has a very different effect. The war is over and Gilbert has been demobilized. He reverts easily to suburban life—cocktails at six-thirty, church on Sundays—but his wife and young son resist the stuffy routine. Lewis and his mother escape to the woods for picnics, just as they did in wartime days. Nobody is surprised that Gilbert's wife counters convention, but they are all shocked when, after one of their jaunts, Lewis comes back without her.
Not far away, Kit Carmichael keeps watch. She has always understood more than most, not least from what she is dealt by her own father's hand. Lewis's grief and burgeoning rage are all too plain, and Kit makes a private vow to help. But in her attempts to set them both free, she fails to foresee the painful and horrifying secrets that must first be forced into the open.
In this brilliant debut, Sadie Jones tells the story of a boy who refuses to accept the polite lies of a tightly knit community that rejects love in favor of appearances. Written with nail-biting suspense and cinematic pacing, The Outcast is an emotionally powerful evocation of postwar provincial English society and a remarkably uplifting testament to the redemptive powers of love and understanding.

Details Of Books The Outcast
| Title | : | The Outcast |
| Author | : | Sadie Jones |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 352 pages |
| Published | : | February 7th 2008 by Chatto & Windus |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Romance. European Literature. British Literature |
Rating Of Books The Outcast
Ratings: 3.62 From 8539 Users | 806 ReviewsCritique Of Books The Outcast
A poorly eye meant I couldnt read at all last week! So I topped up with extra Audible credits. I listened to The Outcast by Sadie Jones as I enjoyed The Snakes so much. This is a dark story set in late 1940s England. Do you agree that the mood you are in when you read or listen to a book impacts your feelings about it? Lying in the dark and feeling unwell I found this story compelling but nightmarish with sadistic characters that lingered in my thoughts.The following is a list of things I find so nauseating to read about that I cannot sustain interest in a novel, or in food:1 - children watching their mothers drown (especially if it is described in agonizing detail for several pages)2 - fathers beating children mercilessly3 - sons sleeping with stepmothers4 - incest5 - people cutting themselvesThe following is a list of writing no no's that make me crazy:1 - telling and never showing2 - characters that are not only totally flat but make zero
There was a point about three quarters through this sodden, posh "Rebel Without a Cause" that I started laughing. The book wasn't meant to be funny(in fact, I'd be hard pressed to imagine a more humorless novel I've read this year). In fact, Sadie Jones puts her attractive, well-heeled young characters through a catalog of After-School Special/Lifetime movie horrors so unrelentingly grisly that a medieval martyr would shake her head in "Surely you jest" disbelief. There is a great deal of good

There is merit to this book, but I found that it irritated me quite a bit. The events take place in rural England from 1945 to 1957, centering around Lewis Aldridge, the Outcast of the title. The author tortures poor Lewis throughout, so that we are properly prepared for his rousing redemption at the tales end. The bad people are pretty bad, the good people are few and far between. There is some middle ground as well, thankfully.Sadie Jones - image from The Guardian Lewis troubles begin when he
THE OUTCAST by Sadie JonesWhat a depressing, sad and sorry bag of bones this book is. I understand it was originally conceived as a screenplay, maybe that should have told everyone something that it didn't get further than that. But I also see that it is to become a movie directed by the guy who directed Shakespeare in Love. I really can't visualise how that will turn out, although movies have been made of much less. And that reminds me, even though the blurb on the back sounded a bit suspect, I
Repressed, abusive, middle class 1950s England is the setting, transgression and redemption. Lewis is 7 when his mother drowns while they are picnicing by a river and the emotional turmoil that follows him and his father colour and effect all his growing years. With no help or understanding of what would now be called P.T.S.D, Lewis battles with self-harm and lack of self-esteem, his troubles land him in prison from the age of 17 -19 for setting fire to the local church.Kit is my favourite
This book is very well written. Moves at a great pace and deals with a lot of personal relatable aspects. A very intimate thought provoking read that I'm so greatful for! Definitely read this book!!
.png)


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.