Download Books Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1) For Free Online
Itemize Epithetical Books Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1)
| Title | : | Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1) |
| Author | : | Barry Hughart |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 278 pages |
| Published | : | April 12th 1985 by Del Rey (first published April 1st 1984) |
| Categories | : | Fantasy. Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Cultural. China. Humor |

Barry Hughart
Paperback | Pages: 278 pages Rating: 4.29 | 9384 Users | 1017 Reviews
Relation In Favor Of Books Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1)
When the children of his village were struck with a mysterious illness, Number Ten Ox sought a wiseman to save them. He found master Li Kao, a scholar with a slight flaw in his character. Together, they set out to find the Great Root of Power, the only possible cure.The quest led them to a host of truly memorable characters, multiple wonders, incredible adventures—and strange coincidences, which were really not coincidences at all. And it involved them in an ancient crime that still perturbed the serenity of Heaven. Simply and charmingly told, this is a wry tale, a sly tale, and a story of wisdom delightfully askew. Once read, its marvels and beauty will not easily fade from the mind.
The author claims that this is a novel of an ancient China that never was. But, oh…it should have been!
Declare Books Supposing Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1)
| Original Title: | Bridge of Birds |
| ISBN: | 0345321383 (ISBN13: 9780345321381) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1 |
| Literary Awards: | World Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1985), Mythopoeic Fantasy Award (1986) |
Rating Epithetical Books Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1)
Ratings: 4.29 From 9384 Users | 1017 ReviewsWeigh Up Epithetical Books Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #1)
3.5 stars. Best way I can think of to describe this book is that it is beautifully written "fable" set in China. It is clever, funny and very original. Recommended!!Winner: Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature (1986)Winner: World Fantasy Award for Best Novel (1985)(tie)I feel bad. I finished this book two days after we recorded the episode of Sword and Laser where we wrap it up (first time I haven't finished a book for the audio show). I blame Outlander for being too long.Anyhow, I wish I had made it to the end, because coming away from the book now I feel much differently than I did at the 75% mark. If felt like the silliness that was almost a distraction for me came together in the end in a really beautiful and meaningful way. You all said I'd feel
I can't think of a book quite like this. BoB is a light-hearted Chinese fantasy that is refreshing and completely enjoyable. Hughart makes the folktales and legends of ancient China seem utterly commonplace and this lends to the surreality of the story. After reading a number of very serious books, I really needed a novel like this!

This was the February pick for the Sword and Laser, and I'm glad I read it. It feels more like a translation of a Chinese mythological tale than a novel written by a guy named Barry in 1984. That's a good thing, in my opinion. It has a lot of the humor found in bizarre characters and nonsensical cultural practices (because of an emperor's whim or fetishization, I am not saying that the Chinese are nonsensical) that I have seen in a lot of *actual* Chinese literature, and Japanese too. The
Nothing on the face of this earthand I do mean nothingis half so dangerous as a childrens story that happens to be real, and you and I are wandering blindfolded through a myth devised by a maniac.Bridge of Birds opens on a pastoral setting, a remote unicorn-shaped village in the peaceful valley of Cho in ancient China. Narrated by Yu Lu, also known as Number Ten Ox (the tenth of his fathers sons and as strong as an ox), it begins with a promising silk season coming to an abrupt end. A plague
Perhaps there's a slight flaw in my character, but I only liked this book, I didn't love it. I felt like the same thing kept happening over and over. One time I lost my bookmark and accidentally reread 3 chapters without realizing. Still, it was entertaining. Kind of like Indiana Jones Part 47: The One With the Old Chinese Guy.
Bridge of Birds makes a nice change from the standard Western fantasy. Barry Hughart is a Western writer, of course, but he's drawing on non-typical settings and sources -- although, of course, a lot of the stories and lore in this book is made up for the purposes of the story, there are also things I recognise from the little I've read of Monkey (Journey to the West). It's different enough to be refreshing. Some of the stories it includes are lovely -- particularly the one that turns out to be
.png)


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.