Download Books Understood Betsy For Free Online
Identify Containing Books Understood Betsy
| Title | : | Understood Betsy |
| Author | : | Dorothy Canfield Fisher |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 176 pages |
| Published | : | 1996 by Sonlight Curriculum (first published 1916) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Classics. Childrens. Historical. Historical Fiction |

Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Paperback | Pages: 176 pages Rating: 4.15 | 11418 Users | 697 Reviews
Chronicle During Books Understood Betsy
For all of her nine years, fragile Elizabeth Ann has heard her Aunt Frances refer in whispers to her "horrid Putney cousins." But when her aunt can no longer care for her, Elizabeth Ann must leave her sheltered life to live in the wilds of Vermont with those distant relatives.In the beginning, Elizabeth Ann is shocked by country living--pets are allowed to sleep in the house and children are expected to do chores! But with country living comes independence and responsibility, and in time, Elizabeth Ann finds herself making friends and enjoying her new family. When the year is up and Aunt Frances comes to get her niece, she finds a healthier, prouder girl with a new name--Betsy--and a new outlook on life.
Understood Betsy has delighted generations of young readers since it was first published by Henry Holt and Company in 1917.
Declare Books In Favor Of Understood Betsy
| Original Title: | Understood Betsy |
| ISBN: | 1887840133 (ISBN13: 9781887840132) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Elizabeth Ann, Aunt Harriet, Cousin Frances, Abigail Putney, Henry Putney, Ann Putney |
| Setting: | Pennsylvania(United States) |
Rating Containing Books Understood Betsy
Ratings: 4.15 From 11418 Users | 697 ReviewsCommentary Containing Books Understood Betsy
I am such a big softie.This morning, Isaac and I just finished reading Understood Betsy together (again).You might guess from the cover that manly men like Isaac and I wouldn't care for this book. You'd be wrong. Understood Betsy is a book about an overprotected girl who unhappily goes to live with some extended family who actually understand what a little girl needs to thrive.Betsy learns how to do things for herself, how to make friends (and be a true one), how to be a productive member of aMy son and I both enjoyed this book. Lots of good lessons throughout. Especially about being brave and stopping to think instead of panicking. We have been working on that a lot lately so it was a good tie-in.
I inherited the Anne books and Understood Betsy from my mom. And like my mom, I read and re-read and still to this day re-read this book. This book, the Anne books and the Earth Children's series are the books I never get tired of reading and have become an intimate part of my life, like a tattoo, like family. I love this book for the simple life lessons, the sweetness and simplicity of the time and the locale and the unexpected pluckiness and inner strength of our young heroine Elizabeth Ann,

My friends here that read turn-of-the-last-century girl's lit have all read Understood Betsy and rated it highly... and they're right! And exceptionally relevant and up-to-date feels this tale of a young girl who at the start of the story is deficient in life skills and pushed towards anxiety by helicoptering oversharing aunts.Some great asides:"[Betsy] weighed out the salt needed on the scales, and was very much surprised to find that there really is such a thing as an ounce. She had never met
This was a very wholesome and loveable book. I will admit that I was surprised by the Putney cousins. I had expected this to be a typical city-girl-goes-to-country-cousins-with-hardworking-papa-loving-mama-and-many-children-to play with. Rather the family was made up of an old aunt and uncle with a younger cousin who was the hardy kind. I think it's difference made it rather nice, and I like that there are no long speeches or anything of that kind. It's just simple hard work, eat well, have good
4.5 starsA delightful story from my childhood! I just love watching Elizabeth Ann change to Betsy, and the ending! I laughed, and smiled my through this wonderful story. The characters are so well written that each one feels real and living even if they aren't in the story more than a few sentences. The setting is perfect without too much to distract or too little to leave you floating around.There are several euphemisms that I didn't know of before, and one use of the Lord's name when they
Such an interesting little read. This book felt like Little House On The Prairie meets Anne of Green Gables meets Betsy and Tacy to me. Timeless values that illustrate the resourcefulness, genuine intelligence and innate goodness of children (yes, the author is a big fan of Montessori) against a rustic rural backdrop. I cried for pages during the establishment of the sewing society and laughed joyfully over Betsy's treatment of the calf when Aunt Frances comes to the farm. I found myself half
.png)


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.