Download Books Online The Inverted World Free
Point Books Conducive To The Inverted World
| Original Title: | Inverted World |
| ISBN: | 0060134216 (ISBN13: 9780060134211) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Helward Mann |
| Literary Awards: | Hugo Award Nominee for Best SF Novel (1975), Locus Award Nominee for Best Novel (1975), British Science Fiction Association Award for Best SF Novel (1974) |
Christopher Priest
Hardcover | Pages: 310 pages Rating: 3.91 | 6703 Users | 616 Reviews

Specify Appertaining To Books The Inverted World
| Title | : | The Inverted World |
| Author | : | Christopher Priest |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 310 pages |
| Published | : | May 28th 1974 by Harper & Row (NYC) (first published May 1974) |
| Categories | : | Science Fiction. Fiction. Dystopia |
Description To Books The Inverted World
The city is winched along tracks through a devastated land full of hostile tribes. Rails must be freshly laid ahead of the city & carefully removed in its wake. Rivers & mountains present nearly insurmountable challenges to the ingenuity of the city's engineers. But if the city does not move, it will fall farther & farther behind the optimum & into the crushing gravitational field that has transformed life on Earth. The only alternative to progress is death. The secret directorate that governs the city makes sure that its inhabitants know nothing of this. Raised in common in creches, nurtured on synthetic food, prevented above all from venturing outside the closed circuit of the city, they're carefully sheltered from the dire necessities that have come to define human existence. Yet the city is in crisis. People are growing restive. The population is dwindling. The rulers know that, for all their efforts, slowly but surely the city is slipping ever farther behind the optimum. Helward Mann is a member of the city's elite. Better than anyone, he knows how tenuous is the city's continued existence. But the world he's about to discover is infinitely stranger than the strange world he believes he knows so well.Rating Appertaining To Books The Inverted World
Ratings: 3.91 From 6703 Users | 616 ReviewsEvaluate Appertaining To Books The Inverted World
The Inverted World is a cold book. Most of Priest's books are told in a stiff and remote mode, which frequently suits the alienated subject matter. It's not the case here.Faults:1 - The sterile environment depicted is reflected in the unemotional natures of the characters and of their relationships with one another: Helwood vs his wife Victoria and Helwood vs his father; 2 - The dialog is very stilted and stiff; it barely pretends to achieve more than information exchange. And as a result, it isReads like a simple adventure story, but with an unexpected level of cleverness and complexity, both of underlying concept and usefulness as cautionary fable. I can't entirely speak for some of the underlying physics (some "hard" sci-fi what-ifs mix well with social concerns here), but its terribly interesting and seems well-thought-through enough that I have no complaints.Starting simply but intriguingly with a city that must constantly move through an uncertain and perhaps threatening world on
With Inverted World Christopher Priest has written a work that is beautiful, powerful and profound. These are the words of critic, scholar and science fiction writer Adam Roberts. Equally important, at least for me as someone unacquainted with science fiction, is that Mr. Priest has written an accessible and enjoyable novel. And part of the enjoyment was having my imagination challenged and expanded - I felt like I do after finishing a rigorous workout, only, in this case, my mind had the

She was now a little more than twelve inches high, and her body as the other girls was nearly five feet broad. It was impossible to recognize them as once having been human, even though he knew this to be so.Well here is one of the strangest of all worlds. I shouldnt really say too much about it, as that would spoil all the fun, but thats okay because I couldnt explain it if I tried. The first 100 pages are rather dull, it has to be admitted, but after that not even the sky is the limit. Ill
Does perception change reality, or reality changes perception? Helward Mann, the protagonist, had only known one reality. Born and raised in an efficient organization of utilitarian functionality within the enclosure of earths only surviving city, Manns system of beliefs centered around Destaines Directives, the dictum of the citys founder. As with many men before him, Mann was a guildsman in servitude to the perpetual mobility of the city. For the city is not static, and must never be in order
Wow - I enjoyed this. As literature, it's not that special - the characters don't really stand out and the writing wasn't particularly evocative. But the story makes for an excellent puzzle. Translated into stars, it's maybe a 3 1/2. I came across the author from his introduction of another book - The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. Inverted World is a bit of a sci-fi mystery with a premise that's incredibly odd but also fascinating. In a run down landscape, where society seems to have fallen apart,
I found this book both fascinating and frustrating. Overall, I would highly recommend it, but with caveats.I had never read Priest before, but I picked this up randomly when I was on travel and running out of reading material. It was shelved next to The Prestige, his 1996 (IIRC?) novel that was recently filmed. Susan and I really enjoyed the movie, so I thought that this Priest guy might be worth a gamble. I avoided The Prestige as a first cut because I wanted something new. (And I knew how
.png)


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.