Download Books The Dinner For Free
Itemize Books In Favor Of The Dinner
| Original Title: | Het diner |
| ISBN: | 0770437850 (ISBN13: 9780770437855) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Setting: | Amsterdam(Netherlands) |
| Literary Awards: | Publieksprijs voor het Nederlandse Boek (2009), PEN Translation Prize Nominee for Sam Garrett (2014), Andrew Carnegie Medal Nominee for Fiction (2014) |
Herman Koch
Hardcover | Pages: 292 pages Rating: 3.22 | 125123 Users | 16446 Reviews

Declare Containing Books The Dinner
| Title | : | The Dinner |
| Author | : | Herman Koch |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | US/CAN |
| Pages | : | Pages: 292 pages |
| Published | : | February 12th 2013 by Hogarth (first published January 2009) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Mystery. Contemporary. Thriller |
Description To Books The Dinner
On a summer evening in Amsterdam, two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant for dinner. At first, the conversation is a gentle hum of polite small talk - the banality of work, the latest movies they've seen. But behind the empty words, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened.Each couple has a fifteen-year-old son. The two boys are united by their accountability for a single horrific act - an act that has triggered a police investigation and shattered the comfortable, insulated worlds of their families. When the dinner reaches its culinary climax, the conversation finally touches on their children. As civility and friendship disintegrate, each couple shows just how far they are prepared to go to protect those they love.
Tautly written, incredibly gripping, and told by an unforgettable narrator, The Dinner is an internationally bestselling phenomenon that will leave you breathless.
Rating Containing Books The Dinner
Ratings: 3.22 From 125123 Users | 16446 ReviewsNotice Containing Books The Dinner
This may have been one of the worst books I have ever read. I will confess that generally I want to have at least one character that I like. But it's not always necessary. If the plot or situation enthralls me in such a way that I am compelled to keep reading, then I'm happy to. This book however, I kept reading because every review that I read and every recommendation I got from friends said how fabulous this book was. I read to the end hoping it would get better. I hated it. I hated the factThe Dinner, Herman KochThe story is narrated by Paul Lohman, a former history teacher. He and his wife Claire meet at a fancy restaurant in Amsterdam with his elder brother Serge, a prominent politician and contender for the position of Dutch prime minister, and his wife Babette. The plan is to discuss over dinner how to handle a crime committed by their teenage sons, Michel and Rick, respectively. The violent act of the two boys had been filmed by a security camera and shown on TV, but, so far,
If the word didn't exist prior to this book, we would've had to create "acerbic." The writing is sooooo good. The structure is fascinating. The people are deliciously awful.

Wow, lots to unpack here. This is a novel that has been sitting on my shelf for several years, and I finally pulled it down in a good-faith effort to read more of the books I already own. I don't remember why I was so interested in this that I bought a copy, so I skimmed some reviews to jog my memory. I saw everything from 1 star to 5 stars from Goodreads friends, with some very heated comments about the characters and the story. It lowered my expectations, and I felt ready to tackle this book.
Edit :: added spoiler alert per GR member request.(view spoiler)[Pretentious rot and Dutch version of Gone Girl but with sociopaths + food = unpalatable. I know. That was too easy. And smug.Sorry. (hide spoiler)]
so this is probably a safe bet for people who liked Gone Girl. in other words, not you, richard. but it is not nearly as twisty and satisfying as g.g., methinks. it has the moral bankruptcy of Gone Girl, the shallow people, banal small talk and heavily-done descriptive elements of American Psycho, and the "we are here to talk about our delinquent kids but it isn't going to go well" scenario of The God of Carnage. and why yes, i have only seen the film adaptation, thank you for asking.the whole
Say you have a terrorist in the family. You see it on the news and then find irrefutable evidence in your own home. Would you protect the person from the police? Would you get together with your family to discuss the situation and all of you agree that further crimes will need to be committed by the family in order to protect their loved one? Would you encourage these crimes and even commit them yourself? Would you do all this in the certain knowledge that the person will do it again and again
.png)


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.